Headlines News :
Home » » The making of a politician

The making of a politician

Written By Unknown on Tuesday 18 February 2014 | 06:04


Zitto Kabwe: One of Tanzania's most popular politicians,admits that the responsibilities and challenges  of his work are worthwhile and interesting..... Read on and get to know the upbringing of a man of the people.


 
Hon.Zitto Kabwe
 Tell us about your child hood.

I was born in a relatively poor family and even went to school bare foot. I wore my first shoes when I was in standard three as a gift of shoes given by a neighbor - relative after excelling my standard two exams. 
I remember going to school on an empty stomach .in 1984/1985 we only drunk “Uji wa Yanga” without sugar (Unga wa Yanga was food support from the United States. We termed it Yanga because it was yellow).  However, due to Ujamaa policies then, I studied and excelled all the way to University regardless of my family background.  Ujamaa provided an opportunity to each child in the country to study in accordance to his/her capacity.   Pupils from rich and poor families were all the same before public policies.  All of us went to same schools.  To day,   the wealthy study in better schools while the poor receive appalling education It is a pity.

What was your dream occupation in your childhood days?

I remember I always wanted to be a public figure.  I remember having a photo of Nyerere, Kawawa and Aboud Jumbe in my mathematical set in standard two. Professionally, I liked being an economist which I have attained although my childhood outlook of being a teacher still haunts me.  After retiring from politics, I intend to go back to class and teach.
The poverty I grew up in lived in coerced me to always have the urge to solve problems. In class, I was a stubborn child, but also a peacemaker among fighting classmates.  My Humble background really influenced my leaning toward politics.  In primary school when I was in standard four,  I was  elected by  the entire school to be  the  chairperson  of  the “ Elimu  ya  Kujitegemea”  project  (self reliance project). I oversaw projects like gardening and was a signatory of the school Bank account at a very tender age.  I think this greatly influenced me. My engagements with my grand father also played a major role in my influence in politics.

Tell us one thing you are passionate about besides politics.
Teaching.  I will resolve back after I leave politics.

Who were the most influential people in your upbringing?
My grandfather Mzee Salum Mohamed.  He raised me. As my grand father on my mother’s side, he ensured that I grew up a responsible citizen.  He didn’t know how to read and write and hence he ensured that I was literate before I even joined standard one.  I used to read his letters regarding meetings he was being invited to (He was a Member of CCM Regional Executive Committee). 

Which principal due you abide to daily?
Justice is a fundamental principle I hold dearly.  I hate oppression and I can give all I have to end oppression.  As I grow, accountability becomes a cornerstone of my life.  I enjoy seeing leaders being held to account for their actions or inaction. I enjoy more when I am being held to account.  Utu- dignity is another principle I hold dearly.  I believe every human being has a right to respect to his/her dignity.  These principles including patriotism and Ethical behavior govern my daily life.

Where do you derive your boldness and confidence from?
Truth; when you tell the truth, you are confident. Boldness is a character resulting from doing the right thing.  I am bold on principled issues. I am confident when I tell the truth.

What does a day in your life entail?
I wake up at 5, pray and exercise.  Go to committee works when in Dar es Salaam or parliament when in Dodoma or meet people when in Kigoma.  Sometimes my day ends extremely late in the evening especially due to meetings, particularly party meetings, in constituency or during party rallies. I am always at ago attending rallies, talking to people, addressing and listening to their problems.  When I am free, I read books listen to Bongoflava or just relax along the Lake Tanganyika shores and observe nature.  I am a regular visitor to   our National Parks as well.  Every New Year’s Eve is spent at one of the National Parks. The previous year, I went to the most beautiful National Park in the country, Saadani.

What sort of challenges do you face?
Challenges are huge.  One is expectations from people.  People expect a lot from MP's, monetary wise as well as advice. I do attend to these issues as much as I can. It is tough not having a side business making most of the expectations tough to meet funds wise.  It is hard but manageable.

Which has been on your most memorable moment in politics?
The Mining Act 2010 is my memorable moment.  In 2007 I was suspended from Parliament due to my motion popularly known as the Buzwagi motion.  This motion fired up the country against skewed mining contracts. Due to the new law which I actively participated in enacting, the country is currently benefiting. Gemstones are currently mined by Tanzanians only.  Regardless of my punishment, the country is benefiting from my efforts.

You have made history in Tanzanian politics. What would you like to be remembered for?
Education and Poverty reduction.  Ensuring Tanzanians benefit from their natural resources.  I want to be   remembered as a Tanzanian   who fought for using resources like minerals, Natural gas, Land and water for development of Tanzania from impoverishment.   It is my dream to see Rural Poverty is eradicated through smart policies on rural infrastructure, energy, water supply and social services like education and Health.

Do you ever go on holiday? Where do you spend your holiday?
Yes. I have been to the Seychelles.  I spend most of my holidays in our national Parks.  Sometimes I travel to Islands like Zanzibar, Seychelles and my next target is the Maldives.


 How do people describe you and what is your take on their opinions?

Arrogant Zitto, wealthy Zitto, Powerful Zitto.  All are wrong I might have some academic arrogance (Prof. Baregu once warned me of that) but I am a very humble person, and am down to earth.  I detest materialism and a staunch Nyerereist on property ownership I use Zitto Power (ZiPower) for a good cause.

One lesson learnt from Zitto, The truth is a powerful tool in problem solving!



Share this article :

0 comments:

Speak up your mind

Tell us what you're thinking... !

Popular Posts

PAGE VIEWERS

 
Support : HISIA ONLINE | Makoo Web Designer | Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger
Copyright © 2011. HISIA ONLINE - All Rights Reserved
Template Design by Creating Website Published by Makoo Web Designer